Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Birds On A Wire......


Once upon a time long ago, my dad was a lineman for the power company. He would strap on his spikes, clip on his belts and climb power poles There he would be way up in the air repairing wires supported only by two spikes and a leather strap. It was an amazing display of strength and acrobatics - especially to a 6 year old! And let's not forget the zillion volts of electricity humming through the wires. I would ask him the same question over and over: "How come the birds can touch the wires and you can't?" I thought of that question again today as I was putting together this card using Sweet Pea designer paper. Oh I finally have the answer figured out - being grounded is usually a good thing.......unless you are a bird on a wire.........

13 comments:

Mary said...

This card is awesome! I love that you were able to get inspiration for it from the type of job your father did. Adding the rope and the clothes pins is a fantastic idea.

Mary

Kim said...

Adorable Linda! Sweet story and memory of your childhood 'hero'

Nance Leedy said...

What a fun memory! Fantastic use of the DSP and I love the little bead eye detail on each bird!

Pam~ said...

Cute, cute, cute! Good story to go along with the card...love it!

Library Barb said...

Very cute and timely as I just as a coversation on Monday with the Dell repair man about pole climbers.

You could also used the 'grounded' phrase related to Mike, since he's a pilot.

Erin said...

I like the stamp that says "Happy Day" because Dad always used to say that.

Patti MacLeith said...

NOW I know what to do with that "rope" I bought so long ago! What a cute idea, inspired by a touching memory!

Kris Kilcoyne said...

This is SOOOOO cute!!

I love the rope and clothespins, and the little eyes on the birds top it off.

GREAT card, Linda.

Mike Funke said...

Very cute, Linda! The clothespins do it for me - and I bet the PO too! LOL

Mike

Martha said...

OMG! This is the cutest thing! Where did you find those clothespins! I love the story to go along with it! Just love it!!

Carla said...

I loved your memory of your dad, how awesome. Your card is too. Both made me smile. Hugs,

Debbie Henderson said...

Linda, I so always enjoy reading your little short stories! Beautiful card, your dad would be proud of you!

Lydia Fiedler said...

LOVE your card, your story, and your sweet comment on my blog!
xoxoxoxo