Friday, April 8, 2011

Recycling for The Paper Players


My kids threaten every year to get me a dumpster for Mother's Day.......oh one can only hope!  I love to throw things away!  Too much stuff just drives me crazy.  As much as I love getting SU! packages, all of that packaging and cardboard puts me over the edge - can't wait for recycle day!  Because of my enthusiasm for filling trash cans, my husband has designated areas where I am not allowed to "clean up." But to do the recycle challenge at The Paper Players, I had to sneak into the cellar and approach the sacred work bench.  I snared some sandpaper for the flower, some waffle packing paper and a couple of plastic thingys.  I remembered to save my grocery receipt this morning - instead of throwing it away as I leave the store - and layered the flowers with it.  An interesting thing happened when I used my heat gun to wrinkle my ribbon.  Before the ribbon crinkled, the receipt layers of the flower turned dark! Totally forgot that receipt paper is now heat sensitive!  I do have a few things left over from my trip to the basement.......it's time they moved on.........

15 comments:

Lesley said...

Love it Linda! The receipt flowers look terrific all black!! Can you come to my house and help me purge...LOL!!! Now I feel like Spring cleaning...
Hugs,
Lesley

Jen Mitchell said...

Well, I have to say that your recycled contraband has really paid off! I love all the elements you've combined. I do recommend that you put all the unused stuff you've pilfered back where you found it. In my experience, husbands know when their "stuff" has been disturbed!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Linda, your writing always makes me smile. :)
You remind me of my mother, with your penchant for throwing things away. That sounds JUST like her. She threw out many of my things as I grew up, and without my permission, and I'm STILL annoyed for that! LOL

For a woman who has nary a recycling item laying around, your card turned out really cool!

Nance Leedy said...

I am so impressed that you remembered to save your grocery receipt for our challenge--that's planning ahead! As always your posts crack me up--I can just picture the corner of the basement where havoc reigns supreme. Your recycled elements are fantastic together--love the flower and especially the waffle paper--just gorgeous. So glad you played along with us this week! (hugs)

Ann Schach said...

Not the sacred workbench! And you survived to tell about it! You are a brave, brave woman! Your card is FABULOUS!

Katy M said...

You are so creative!! Love EVERYTHING about your card!

Dumpster Dude said...

Nice and creative way to use the papers. Love it.

Anne Marie Hile said...

Oh my goodness, I need to hit up the sacred workbench, too. That's too funny! I'm 100% certain that my husband would put a lock on it if he knew I was digging for crafting supplies, though. Haha! This is just too cool! Love the sandpaper flower and I think you found a pretty great technique with the receipt paper, too. :)

Carrie Gaskin said...

This is FANTASTIC! I love everything about it. How you think of these things, girl. Fabulous!

LeAnne said...

What a fun take on the recycled challenge, Linda! LOVE that fun weavy-looking thing on the bottom---and I would love to turn all my receipts into flowers! I'd have a huge flower bed for sure! Thanks for playing with us this week!

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Linda this card is fabulous! LOVE your story too. So cute and what great use of the ALL the different papers. Very clever. Love it.
I hoard lots of "stuff" to recycle on cards, but since I'm my best customer with SU I never seem to get there! I've just GOT to sort that out or I'll be buried in it. Hugs.

Diane - oliver.mdiane@comcast.net said...

Wow! Congrats on being choosen as the Headliner at Paper Players.
See you have NEW technique with that heat gun.
GREAT Job!
Hugs

Anonymous said...

This is just gorgeous!!I just love how you use the recycled things too! Hugs, J

Carla said...

This is an awesome card and I love reading about the sacred workbench!!! I am actually getting a dumpster... its time for things to go!!! You wouldn't believe what came with this house when we bought it. You can come help me so I don't keep things I shouldn't. *smile* Hugs,

Mary said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful card! I love the way that you used recycled items and your flower came out wonderful.

Like you, I love throwing things away. I purge my "stuff" frequently. :)

Mary